Are you Planning a VISIT TO GOZO? Do you need to rent a Room, a Flat or a House of Character?
Do you need more information about our beautiful Island? I am here to help you all I can. I have lived here all my life so I should know.
Many people first come to Malta because they have hardly ever heard of Gozo. Then one fine day during their stay they cross over for a short visit to Gozo and they fall head over heels in love with the smaller island.
I am not very good at many things but I know a thing or two about renting and the property market here in Gozo. I can take you around to see a few choice properties and to talk directly with the owners (if you wish). So if you need to rent a Room in Gozo or a House all for yourself in Victoria, or you are looking for a Bed and Breakfast / a HomeStay for a few days, you've come to the right place. Maybe you want a self-catering Flat for a short or a long lease.
If you need a room with b&b for a night or two in the old part of Victoria, the capital town of Gozo you may wish to go here to make a reservation or just to talk to your host:
I have a varied portfolio of properties for Rent and for Sale and I also work hand in hand with several friends of mine who also have their own properties.
I have made several deals with foreign visitors before and they have been so pleased and satisfied with the properties and rates that I offered them that I am glad to say that they are now my friends. I have rented flats, fully equipped and furnished for as little as Euro 220/month. Through this website I have made friends with people from the UK - London and N.Yorkshire, Belgium, France, California- USA, Sweden, Italy and as far away as Belarus.
The rentals situated in the heart ofare unique, close to all amenities (public transport, pharmacy, food stores, cafes, etc.) and in the very center of things.
I also know about cosy apartments which are up for Long and Short Lets in the quiet villages of Xewkija and Kercem. Both villages are very close to Victoria
You may wish to view this house of Character for a start which is leased on long and short lets, partly or fully furnished (not available at the moment).
On this website I have whole Pages about Gozo and Malta as well as Links to other relevant Sites so that you will come to know all about this magical Island of Gozo before you decide about anything. I love Gozo and I simply like to write about it. These Pages are also a hobby for me. Every day I spend hours typing at the computer like this.
Gozo is known as the Island of Calypso, the nymph goddess. The legend says that she used to live in a cave at Ramla Bay Gozo and that Odysseus was shipwrecked on Gozo and stayed with her for 7 long years.
Let me start with an Analogy to explain better why people like Odysseus are attracted to our Islands. Many proceed not only to rent a house or a room but even to buy a property here.
Our Island is indeed spell-binding and still retains today the primeval beauty that it enjoyed at the time of Homer's Lliad. This is what makes Gozo special - the island is still cut-off, primitive and largely UNDEVELOPED.
(San Blas, a remote sandy beach in the North of Gozo)
Let us FaNtaZisE a little bit about Odysseus and the Nymph Calypso and see how we can adapt their adventure on the Island to the situation of Gozo today.
Odysseus found himself on an enchanted Island by accident and was bewitched by Calypso's beauty. He stayed with her for 7 long years living in her cave overlooking the magical sandy beach of Ramla Bay. It was a kind of illicit romantic vacation for them.
Ramla as its Maltese name implies is a sandy beach (Ramel is sand in Maltese). The sheltering trees at the back help to render it more spectacular. No wonder that Homer and the Goddess Nymph Calypso chose it as her home. It is so unique.
What is the pull that Gozo exerts on shipwrecked mariners and the modern visitors of today?
1) The weather in Malta reflects Calypso's nature, it is warm and welcoming.
Apart from July and August when it is quite hot on some days, the weather is pleasant for the rest of the year. And when it is hot (some foreigners like it like this), there is always the welcoming blue sea for a cool refreshing dip.
2) Our Winter is a blessing. The temperature rarely goes below 15 in the daytime and it is enough to put on a woolen sweater to keep warm. In fact we locals pray for a short cold spell during Christmas and the New Year to get us more into the season's spirit while celebrating in Victoria. How romantic to rent a room in a little GuestHouse , a Flat or a whole house and spend Christmas here in Gozo with your family or a friend.
3) Our Island enjoys a Clean Air environment. Owing to the small size of the Island the frequent light breezes sweep it clean from end to end. We have no smoking chimneys up to now and we hope to remain so.
As soon as one arrives at Mgarr, that's the main port where the Ferry berths and sets foot on the island, one immediately begins to notice the cleaner invigorating air. As if by Magic, your head feels lighter and you kind of get the relaxing sensation that you are Home.
A Quiet environment is Gozo's speciality
This is how Odysseus must have felt when he drifted on the beach at Ramla many long years ago as the legend has it.
4) The locals are very helpful and friendly and welcome first-time visitors with open arms reflecting the way that Calypso warmly welcomed Odysseus. They (we) show great HOSPITALITY. Besides, the Maltese Archipelago was from time immemorial under occupation by one foreign power or another (eg. we were under the Phoenicians, the Romans, the Knights, the French, the British) up to quite recently, 1979 .
Perhaps these are the reasons why we regard foreigners as our friends and feel that we must welcome them. It is in our system, somehow. Rent a house or a room here and you'll feel at home from the very first hour.
5) There is so much to see and experience here. Our Folklore and age-old customs are still alive especially in the villages. You'll experience the magic of total peace and quiet in situations you wouldn't believe possible. For instance you are standing in the square of one of the smaller villages at 8 or 9 in the morning on a fine working day and you would not see a living soul. Incredible.
Odysseus (Ulysses) only heard soft singing and music wafting out of the mysterious cave when he first opened his tired salt-caked eyes. For this reason our Island is ideal for a romantic holiday.
Restored old Townhouse with Modern eye-level Italian kitchen. Watch a Video of this house.
6) Language helps, of course. Many locals speak good English so communication is not a problem. The younger generation speak Italian, French and German too.
7) Calypso went out of line a little bit by holding Odysseus against his will but being a Goddess, Zeus turned a blind eye until Athene intervened on our hero's behalf.
Even today the crime rate in Gozo is non-existent or very very low when compared to the other cities of the world. The island is therefore an excellent venue for a family holiday together with the children.
8) Odysseus only paid with his love for his long sojourn in Calypso's Cave.
Similarly you'll find that renting a house or a room here is very reasonable and much cheaper when compared to other European resorts.
9) Calypso fed Odysseus on fruit*, milk, red wine and honey so he did not spend a red cent on food and drink. Maybe he helped her with a couple of home decorating ideas in return or fixed some things in her cave. In the end she gave him tools and timber to build his sailing raft to enable him to make his way back home to Ithaca.
* Why is the fruit (the oranges, grapes, plums, peaches, pomegranates), the vegetables, the milk and the honey so delicious when compared to the imported products? It must be first and foremost the quality of the soil, the hours of sunshine and the relatively clean air and also (in my opinion) the amount of water present in the soil - not too much but just enough for the plants to flourish (the same as when you cook ... if you use the H2O too freely your hot pot is too watery to the taste :0) )
The cost of living here is more or less related to the local wages/salaries which are only about 1/3 or less than those in other countries of the E.U. I have learnt recently that the basic wage in Norway is 2000 Euro/month at least while here in Malta (and Gozo) it is between 700 and 800.
Typical Gozo Farmhouse with garden
Therefore a person coming to relocate here from abroad can live like a Lord here in Gozo on his/her salary/pension.
Gozo has a magical attraction and many people come here on family holidays, romantic vacations, and wedding and honeymoon vacations or just to get away from it all.
Many people also come to Gozo purely for the scuba diving to enjoy the underwater caves and the fantastic topography of our sea-bed.
Winter vacations are especially suited for the baby boomers and for those senior citizens who need to escape the noisy environment and the cold temperatures of N. Europe.
I like to write about Gozo and too to let people know more about the magic and beauty of our Islands. To know Gozo is to love Gozo, so when people do decide to visit I do my best to help them find good accommodation deals. You may Rent a house or just one room from here.
I am also in favour of safeguarding the Environment and preserving the natural and partly undeveloped state of Gozo.
In my opinion Gozo has great potential as a 'remote' tourist attraction and also as an ideal relocation destination for senior citizens. By preserving its natural beauty and special characteristics (Gozo-Malta-Tunnel?) it is ensured that when you visit Gozo you'll be spell-bound by its magic and its quiet and peaceful environment.
In Castillian 'Gozo' means 'joy' and that is how we should strive to keep it - offering joy to the locals and to all visitors alike.
If you find these Pages interesting at all or of some value to you and others please 'Like' by clicking the Button above.
I started building this Website "www.rent-a-house-gozo.com" as from the end of July 2012. Although it is now almost 18 months old it is never complete. So if you would like other info about any topic relating to Gozo and Malta or want to rent or buy a Property here, do not hesitate to contact me any time.
This is quite a useful Link which is updated everyday. GozoNews.com
(An old-world Gozo Farmhouse on the outskirts of Victoria)
In my opinion buying a property in Gozo is always a sound investment especially if it is in a good locality such as Victoria.
Marsalforn property is also a good investment. Other villages such as Zebbug, Gharb, Qala and Xaghra are also very popular.
Important: If you want to add your views about any topic connected with this Site, please use the Add Your Piece button and I might decide to publish your Article/Comment on a Page of its own.